Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili lost his life in a practice run on the Vancouver luge track the day before the opening ceremonies. During the opening ceremonies, there was a very respectful moment of silence, and that was the right thing to do.
Here is a question for you... did you know that Munich has a bid for the 2020 Olympic Games? Same place that 11 Israeli athletes were assassinated in a terrorist plot. Has there ever been an apology from the IOC? NO... Has there ever been reference to the event during an opening ceremony at the Summer games? Not to my knowledge. 2012 will be 40 years, will London do the right thing?
There is a respectful plaque in memory of the athletes in Munich, but is that enough? If 11 US athletes were murdered, it would be remembered at each and every Olympiad.
I know it cannot happen any time soon, but I would love to see Tel-Aviv bid for the Olympics. Until that day, us as Jews and Zionists can never forget the 11 athletes who died unnecessarily.
Let them be remembered and honoured:
The 11 Israeli team members taken hostage and subsequently murdered by PLO terrorists were:
- Weightlifter Yossef Romano, 31years old
- Weightlifter David Berger, 28
- Weightlifter Ze'ev Friedman, 28
- Wrestler Eliezer Halfin, 24
- Wrestler Mark Slavin, 18
- Wrestling referee Yossef Gutfreund, age 40
- Wrestling coach Moshe Weinberg, 33
- Track coach Amitzur Shapira, 40
- Shooting coach Kehat Shorr, 53
- Fencing coach Andre Spitzer, 27
- Weightlifting judge Yakov Springer, 51.