Zahal

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Israeli Athletes - we need more

In 1972 Israel lost 11 of its athletes to a terrorist plot.  Munich became the sight of one of Israel's worst days.  The Olympics are supposed to bring the world together, yet that day, Israel was isolated.  We owe it to the memory of those 11 heroes to excel at sports in their memory.
I was in Israel during the 1992 Barcelona Summer Games.  I'll never forget watching Yael Arad win a silver medal in Judo.  I was watching it live from the Hyatt Hotel in Jerusalem... an experience I will never forget.  At the time I was taking karate, my father had no clue about Judo, but the pride that he had that day was amazing.
In the last decade, many new immigrants have made Israel their home.  Russians, Ethiopians, Americans and Canadians have all made Aliyah.  Israel has hockey team, and I can see a curling team in the near future.  For a short while, Israel even had a baseball league, and I think with the right funding and support, that can be reborn and will surely thrive.
In the past few years, I have seen many Krav Maga schools open across Canada and the United States.  I am sure some of them aren't "real" Krav Maga, but it still opens people's eyes to the Israeli martial art.
My hope and dream is to see more Israelis on the world stage in sports.  A few years ago, Sagi Kalev won the Mr. Israel bodybuilding contest.  He has gone on to be a fitness model, actor and Thermolife supplements "figure".  Effi Kivelevitz (also a bodybuilder) has made it to the world stage having won Mr. Israel and a few smaller US contests.
I am sure there are a few former Soviet trained boxers that can make a great career in the ranks of boxing.  I also would love to see some Israeli blood in the growing sport of Mixed Martial Arts.  The UFC has expanded to England, Australia, Brazil and Canada, why not Israel?
I truly believe that by having world class athletes, it will open people's eyes to Israel, the Jewish people, and Israeli culture.  It will also hopefully inspire younger athletes as well.  Athletics have united people and societies for thousands of years.
I would laugh if somebody ever tried to bring a sport like Bull Riding to Israel, but then again, why not?  We all make fun of Israeli drivers, why not a NASCAR or Formula-1 driver from the Holy Land?  In all honesty though, what better way to show Country pride than by competing to have your country's flag raised?  I think that Israelis have to focus on building better athletic structure for younger generations.  Let Israel become a force to be seen come Olympic and world championship events.
I look forward to the day the Israeli flag is raised at a sporting event and we hear Hatikva played for thousand in attendance and millions worldwide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment